- A Wisdom New Dispensation. In the first century CE, in the land we know of as Israel, there were complex and highly tumultuous political and religious forces that resulted in the devastation of Jerusalem and a diaspora of Jews from this homeland in the aftermath of the Jewish Wars of 66-70 CE. Amidst this tumult, there appears to have emerged a novel and highly advanced version of creation cosmology and wisdom new dispensation teachings.
- Assimilation into Gnosticism and then Christianity. These teachings, as difficult as they have been to pin down historically, became assimilated into a mystical religious tradition generally known as Gnosticism, and eventually into a more distant echo of this original new dispensation, the Roman sponsored “Nicene” system known generally as Christianity. As is typical of a classic new dispensation, there is a more origin high teaching that over time gets more generalized and less advanced.
- Sophia as a Central Motif of this New Dispensation. The Greek word Sophia, meaning Wisdom, is a religious and spiritual motif that, though appearing to a limited degree in the Old Testament, “she” suddenly exploded with prominence in this first century new dispensation. This became a prominent theme in the early phases of Gnosticism but was almost completely lost to Christianity.
- Christ as Central Figure in this New Dispensation. This first century dispensation appears to be have been authored by this figure known as Jesus Christ and some key players in his inner circle, including Mary Magdalene and Thomas.
- The Divine Spark Within. As I play with this investigation, there is a key theme that emerges which has to do with hints of a powerful but latent human potential, referred to as the Divine Spark Within, that has been shrouded from us through the ages, which I believe can better be understood in the context of what has been referred to as the “mysteries of Sophia” (reference here)
In order to step into these mysteries of Sophia, the deep Christ and the divine spark within, I would like to first set an historical as well as theological context for where this is all coming from. This information can be a little dense and may not appeal to some Christ Sophia Spark enthusiasts, which is understandable and, I would say, is not essential reading in getting to the real value of this material. However, I find that by looking into this extensive esoteric wisdom tradition, I have found that it offers one of the most significant overviews and foundations for understanding what is being asked of us in today’s strange and uncertain times, where people are getting lost in the jungle of so many theories. In a nutshell, here is the main overview.